[ENG] Using Quick Restore CDs

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

[ENG] Using Quick Restore CDs

Post by Dead Parrot »

Has anyone ever used their Quick Restore or Rescue CDs to reformat hard drives?

I'm wondering if I could improve performance by using my CDs to return my machine to its original factory condition. Then I'd only reload a fraction of what I have on it today.
I'd take what I have on the hard drive now and burn it onto a CD.

This of course would only be a stopgap measure until I purchase a new CPU (hopefully by the end of the year or January 2005).

Thanks,

DP

nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Well, i've never personally used them, but i heard good things from experts. If they are the original, untouched CDs that came with your computer in first place and (important) since then you didn't change any important piece of hardware (such has the video card in example) i would definitly suggest you to use them.

Honestly, i don't see any down side in what you are planning to do. Especially if you save everything on CDs before doing it (make double copies, just in case :) )
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Yeah, they are the originals.

OK, I'm going to do this tomorrow (2 Nov 04), so I may be out of contact that day.

Thanks! 8)

DP
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

I took care of this today. So far so good.

She seems to be running a lot faster and without the Explorer drops and other weird shit I had happening often.

For some reason too the screen images seem to be sharper. Probably just my imagination.

I should have done this months ago! :D

DP
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Dead Parrot wrote: She seems to be running a lot faster
Glad it worked.... funny thing in languages... in Italy we refer to the computer as a male...and you used "she" instead... interesting...does she wear nylons too? :D :D :D
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Nope, everytime I try to pull a pair of pantyhose over the CPU they rip! Besides, even if they did work I'd have to get some crotchless PH so that I could fit it over the CD-ROM tray. :D

I guess I spoke too soon. I'm having some trouble saving images off the net. Not all of them but some it only gives me the option to save it as a Bitmap image instead of a JPEG. This is a problem since some of these I will want to upload to the site eventually.

Before I had a drop down box choice to "save as" a JPEG. I'll have to look into this but if anyone has any ideas they're much appreciated.

DP
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Dead Parrot wrote: Before I had a drop down box choice to "save as" a JPEG. I'll have to look into this but if anyone has any ideas they're much appreciated.
I think it's some sort of problem with Internet Explorer, i used to have that too before installing Firefox. My advice is: install Firefox as soon as the 1.0 version will be out... November 9th....so just wait a couple of days...then give it a try... you'll be surprised, believe me :)

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/