What digital camera/technique to shoot indoor candids?

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

locat

What digital camera/technique to shoot indoor candids?

Post by locat »

Hi mates. :)

This weekend, I went to a fair to photograph indoor candids with my Canon Ixus 90IS digital camera. I have seen wonderful shoeplays which I photographed without flash in order to remain unnoticed. Back home, I was extremely disappointed to find out that the most interesting shots were totally crappy.

My camera is small and light and it can easily be used with one single hand.

Although I have an extra battery, I cannot keep it on all day long. The first problem is that every time I turn it on, I need to deactivate the flash, which implies losing some precious time. In addition, the flash can sometimes be switched back more or less intentionally to its default automatic mode so there is always a risk. I wish the flash could be removed or definitely deactivated.

I also wish I could deactivate the red light produced when I press the button slightly and the big LCD screen, to let people think the camera is off.

Even in a fair, the lighting conditions are not always good. The camera counterbalances the absence of flash by increasing the ISO, which results in noise, and increasing the exposure time, which results in blur if the photographer or the subject moves. And unless you rest your arm/camera on something, it is hard to be still enough to obtain a neat shot.

Do you know a digital camera or a technique to take good photos without flash in relatively poorly lit rooms, under tables, and so on?

Thanks a lot! :ooook:

mroxs

Post by mroxs »

few tips:

1) flash : Usually on canon cameras you can switch to manual or some scene mode to keep flash disabled
2) focus assist light: Usually you can disable it searching this function in the menu ( you get less accuracy on focusing
3) you can set noise to a certain level usually in manual mode by setting ISO to 200 or 400 max ( reflex cameras takes great shots at ISO 1600! sigh!)
4) maybe you can set the shot to multiple shot and not single shot trying to get at least one decent photo in a group

I hope to listen other tips or comments, since i am trying to get better pictures too.

:byebye:
locat

Post by locat »

Thank you very much for your advice! Now I just a fair to test my skills. :D