Thoughts on Lighting for Amateur Photoshoots

Write here anything about the website or the forum: comments, suggestions, ideas...

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Thoughts on Lighting for Amateur Photoshoots

Post by Dead Parrot »

Howdy folks,

Here are a few thoughts regarding lighting for amateur photoshoots. Keep in mind that I have never put any of this into practice, it's all just theory. This applies specifically to non-undertable photoshoots. I've written about that elsewhere on the board.

It seems to me that in order to get the best results for your photos you have to ensure that your subject is being lit consistently throughout the shoot. This means staying indoors in a room with as low a ceiling as possible and with light colored walls in order to reflect properly.

It also means covering any windows that may let in sunlight. As the Earth rotates, the sun will change position in the sky and thus change your lighting. You want to eliminate anything that will change the appearance of your "studio".

Turn on all the lights in the room and use your flash at different settings to test out what kind of picture you're getting. You want to keep the subject a few feet away from the wall to avoid the shadow outline that could distort your photo. If you need additional light you may be able to improvise by putting an unshaded lamp in front of a mirror.

The outfits you wear should be contrasting colors. If you wear dark colors, she wears light. Try to stay away from having her hose "merge" with the background wall color, whatever that might be.

I'm not that familar with cameras but it seems that the wider the aperture the better. That way you are letting more light into the device.

The last thing I would suggest would be to take your camera to a local camera shop or photography studio and ask them about the best way to conduct an indoor photoshoot. Just tell them there's a family reunion coming up and you want to get the best possible indoor shots. At worst you can rent some gear from them to help you attain that DDF Productions look.

DP

Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.