My personal theory of foot fetish development

Stop by and tell everyone something about you!
The_Explorer

My personal theory of foot fetish development

Post by The_Explorer »

Hi guys (girls?),

I’m Raz and I'm new here, and this might sound like an odd post. It is also a little long, but please bare with me (I have condensed as much as possible).

I'll start by introducing myself. I am in my 30’s and had a foot attraction (I don’t like the word fetish) since as long as I can remember. It was something I knew very young, although didn't really realise it until maybe my teen years (perhaps like most of us)

The reason I made an account is to posit my personal theory of foot fetish development.

I am a current trainee therapist and so an avid self-reflector. My training requires that I examine every aspect of myself, so self-reflection is currently big part of my life.

This is relevant to say because, having searched for contemporary theories of ‘foot fetishes’, they mostly seem inadequate to me. I can’t imagine there’s a huge number of scientists interested in this area as a point of research.
There is some theory of how foot fetishes develop from a biological view, but they don’t offer much really, and there are older psychodynamic theories saying the foot is the same shape as a penis, so it is related to this why people become attracted to this area (I don’t buy this at all and it’s very outdated).

Basically, I am curious on what people’s personal theories are about why they developed an attraction to feet. Has it been obvious to you, or just something you have always known?

I will tell my own personal understanding, and state the parts that I think MIGHT be generalised, and see what people think.

Firstly, I just wanted to say that I’m not suggesting everybody with a foot fetish has a trauma history. I do have a trauma history, and my development of my attraction to female feet is related to that.

Ok, when I was very young, during the development stages of life (pre-verbal) I have experienced vague, implicit memories that there were times growing up, where the only ‘safe’ thing I could latch onto, was a female foot. During these periods, being around the female foot felt like what my primitive mind might describe as ‘God’. This was safety, this was security, this was comfort, this was all I knew, and where I felt comforted.

My interpretation of this, is that as a child, we are constantly seeking out that which will keep us safe. In my absence of an appropriate caregiver to consistently give me the love and attention I needed, I clung onto the ‘foot’ as my safe haven, and this became the object that signified safety to me.

However, there were times when even this – the ‘female foot’ – didn’t feel safe anymore. It wasn’t always there to nurture me, and as a child this caused confusion. I take this to be times when the comfort I sought (from the foot) wasn’t there, i.e I was ignored, not protected or even abused (from a female friend of the family – this is the part that is my personal story).

This confusion of the female foot being God (i.e safe area) and at times non-responsive or even cruel, occurred during a time of sexual development as a child.

Now there is a consensus that we adapt to our environments. So in my case, during sexual development, I adapted to become attracted to the female foot, this was my safe place in childhood, and although there were times it was ambiguous, it had mainly felt like ‘home’ for me.

It doesn’t start off as a sexual thing, but because I didn’t consistently have my needs met, my development took on a trajectory that adapted to the female foot being the safe haven, and within my sexual development, my brain responded, I grew up and lo and behold I am attracted to female feet of women. So this is an adaptive response, because my brain reacted to finding comfort from a female’s foot in this way. For children who get the adequate nurturance as a children, they might adapt to that and grow up to be attracted to other, typical areas of the body (i.e. a breast fed child who found solace in that, grows up to like breasts).

For me, because there were times when the ‘foot’ wasn’t a safe place (i.e when I was ignored, when I needed care) my development also took a turn in that along with my foot attraction, I enjoy it when women dominate me using their feet (so unlike some, I enjoy being submissive to a women and her using her feet in such a way).

This makes sense to me, as the times the foot was a ‘cruel’ place during periods in childhood, I developed to be sexually aroused by a ‘cruel’ woman. My brain adapted to the environment I was brought up in, so the attraction to domineering women is my brain’s responses to survive such an upbringing. In other words, my development was responsive and completely normal for the conditions I have experienced.

Now the part I feel might generalise to others (and correct me if I’m way off, these are just my thoughts). Although I’m not saying trauma causes a foot fetish, it is feasible that in this modern world, when adults are often so busy and not always available for children, the only sense of security some young children might have on occasion, comes from being at the feet of the caregiving adult (i.e mother).

If you imagine a child reaching up for comfort, but at times not receiving that care that they sorely need, they then maintain a sense of safety and security from the foot of the woman they are at (because it’s the only response they are getting in that moment). The child then learns that this area is typically safe for them when they are in distress. If this occurs over a period of sexual development (which physiologically starts at around 2 years old), then the developing brain adapts to this environment of a female's foot being comforting. The individual grows up and this area becomes sexualised for them because of this early conditioning. This to me, would also support the idea that the foot fetish is the most common type of fetish, because in this modern world, adults are at times too busy to always respond to their child appropriately, that the child finds other ways to feel safe, and the ‘foot’ is always there, even if being picked up and held isn’t.

Ok! That’s basically my theory in a nutshell. I know FOR ME, this explains my foot attraction, it makes perfect sense and I have slowly pieced this together over some years. I should say that I have had psychedelic and meditative experiences which has helped me piece this together, and it isn’t something I’ve just always known. So some of these thoughts might sound odd, as to how I can remember such early development. Some of the insights I’ve gained into my own sexual development have come along spontaneously during these states, but have made perfect sense when they did, allowing me to get greater understanding of my development.

I’d love to start a discussion. Even if you disagree with my ideas, what are your thoughts on how/why you developed a foot fetish?

I should finish by saying I’m not looking into this through a lens that it needs changing or ‘curing’ at all. As I said in my story, for me it is as adaptive response – my brain has responded how anyone’s brain might respond in such a situation. So I feel it is actually a normal outcome to a very particular set of environmental circumstances (although society at large doesn’t quite accept the normality of it, for me these personal insights explain it more than anything else I’ve ever come across).

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing some responses. If anybody actually finds these ideas interesting or would like to discuss, I’d be happy to engage.

christo

Re: My personal theory of foot fetish development

Post by christo »

Hi,
Welcome. I know I'm late in my response but I have often pondered this as well. With my own research and realization, I have come to one true conclusion, no one really knows. Yet here is a few things I have come to learn and accept.

Foot fetishism is primarily a male thing with a few women claiming to have it as but that is debatable. It dates back to the 14th century among the time diseases started killing most of the population and is believed by some fetishism rose up as a defense against this. Although few studies support this theory. Yet the love for feet has been around for centuries.

Most scientists believe it's conditioned from our childhood. I can remember having a love for feet from as early as five. I didn't know why I liked them but I did. I can still remember sleeping with socks under my pillow.

More recent studies have shown there may be a connection with it through our brain. The theory is the portion of the brain that correlates with feet is right next to the portion that correlates with the genitals. So some believe the wiring got crossed and thus created the fetish. This theory has it holes as although it may explain the foot fetish it still doesn't explain the millions of other fetishes out there.

For me personally, I have a love-hate relationship with feet. I love the beauty of them, the curves, the softness, and often times the odor. I love decorative feet with jewelry, nail polish, and nylons. I also find feet gross especially for those who do not take care of their feet. Nevertheless, when I see a beautiful woman I immediately check out her feet cause the soles are the money shot. That will in the end make or break it.
https://scene-it21.blogspot.com/
Home for celebrity pantyhose feet!
hiker
Mod
Mod

Post by hiker »

I too used to ponder this exact same question until I realized it doesn’t matter. Understanding it’s origins really doesn’t benefit me.

I like what I like. I will never apologize for it, nor will I ever care what people think.

At a certain point in life you begin to realize what others say or think about you is none of your business.
pumplover

Post by pumplover »

hiker wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:43 pm I too used to ponder this exact same question until I realized it doesn’t matter. Understanding it’s origins really doesn’t benefit me.

I like what I like. I will never apologize for it, nor will I ever care what people think.

At a certain point in life you begin to realize what others say or think about you is none of your business.
I'm much in agreement with Mr. Mike on this.

I dont want to crosspost, but I answered in a similar post on another subforum here:

I, or rather my therapist, broached this subject with me as in the course of many sessions we have discussed my sexual preferences (just one of the many areas that you work through)...eventually it's going to come up in conversation if you spend any length of time at all with the same one.

I recounted several incidents with my aunt as a 4-5 year old where I interacted with her hosed feet, or rather she with me - rubbing my belly, or commenting to me as I watched her shoeplay with curiousity, then for a time she was intentionally shoeplaying to accomodate my innocent interest - as well as observations I made of other women playing with their shoes at church or maybe a teacher, and how that made me feel, even though I didn't understand the feeling at the time.

My therapist then asked me if I associated the act of sexual intercourse with her foot interacting with her shoe, particularly dipping (I had shared with her the terminology of the community). While she was asking me that, it was more of a rhetorical question to more or less explain to me that often this was the case, usually subconsiously and that erections and possibly jerking off to that imagery were partly an extension of that same association.

Plus, she also told me that though she hadn't really thought about it, she dipped and dangled quite a bit, though completely out of habit. She acted totally ok with the fact that people have this fetish - she also validated it with the caveat that as with all things that are ok, we should practice moderation and not let it control our decisions or take over every moment of our lives.