Movie recommendations?

Anything, really ANYTHING that comes up in your brain!!!

Moderator: Moderators

hiker
Mod
Mod

Movie recommendations?

Post by hiker »

Just wanted to see if anyone has seen any good movies lately that are out on DVD that they would recommend.

I am running out of movies to rent on Netflix.... any ideas?

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Hiker,

Are you a fan of any particular genre or actor/actress?

I'd like to narrow the field a bit so I don't give you a list of irreleveant titles.

DP
Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.
hiker
Mod
Mod

Post by hiker »

As long as it's not a foreign film with subtitles... I'm cool.
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

hiker wrote:As long as it's not a foreign film with subtitles... I'm cool.
Crap! I was going to recommend Das Boot...BUT, you can just watch the dubbed version.

Anyway:

1. Das Boot - one of the ultimate war movies. The story follows the patrol of a typical U-Boat during World War 2. Turn off all the lights and turn up the volume for the whole Gibraltar sequence.

2. Cross of Iron - another underrated war movie. Directed by Sam Peckinpah, stars James Mason, James Coburn, Maximilian Schell and David Warner (in other words an all star cast, and they all shine). This movie set on the Eastern Front during World War 2. Peckinpah pulls no punches with his depiction of violence and the human condition, so watch this one alone, it's VERY hard core.

3. The Fourth War - Cold War thriller. Roy Scheider portrays an experienced and aggressive American infantry officer stationed in West Germany. His mirror image, portrayed by Jurgen Prochnow, is a Russian Army Afghan war vet stationed in Czechoslovakia . Bored and chafing against peacetime regulations, the two men start their own private war, and as you can imagine, it quickly grows out of control. Harry Dean Stanton has a minor role, but he steals every one of his few scenes.

4. The Road Warrior - best action movie ever. Ever. You've probably seen it but I'll recommend it anyway. It puts all modern CGI/wires/smoke and mirror movies to shame.

5. The Right Stuff - doing what we do best: solving complex problems and conquering new worlds. Being a strong advocate for space travel and colonization, this movie makes me want to stand up and cheer at points as it charts the birth of the American space program. Lengthy but worth it (in my never to be humble opinion).

6. The War of the Worlds - the 1953 version directed by George Pal. An updated and Hollywoodized take on Wells' tale of Martian Invasion. The Martian war machines alone are worth the price of admission.

7. The Thing From Another World - 1951 version directed by Howard Hawks. You've probably seen John Carpenter's version, but have you seen the original? To me, what it lacks in special effects it makes up for by virtue of the sense of isolation and the fact that the Hawks characters are practical problem solvers, as opposed to Carpenters lame and listless characters.

8. Zulu Dawn and Zulu - there are very few cinematic treatments of the Anglo-Zulu war. These two are the best and set the standard for future films (if any).

9. The Four Feathers - get the 1939 version directed by Zoltan Korda, not the 2002 MTV version. A disgraced British Army Officer sets out on a mission to redeem himself by rescuing his comrades who are held captive by Mahdist rebels.

10. Lawrence of Arabia - 1962, directed by David Lean. I saved the best for last. Do everything possible to watch this in widescreen.

Enjoy,

DP
Footsiefreak

Post by Footsiefreak »

I recommend Law Abiding Citizen with Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler
hiker
Mod
Mod

Post by hiker »

Thanks for all the input guys!
notalwaysright10000

Post by notalwaysright10000 »

Seems you're fond of war movies, Dead Parrot. How could you have left out Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket? (Full Metal Jacket is worth the price of admission for Lee Raimy's barracks scenes alone)
Uh, OK, what should I write here...
Sweet and to the point:
My strong preference is for seated, both-feet shoeplay. Dangling, and shoeplay with open-toed shoes or mules, I'm afraid don't do as much for me.