27 March 2005: Good & Bad news

All the news regarding the website and the forum. Users can only read and reply to the topics

Moderator: Moderators

nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Thanks for your words ykantickleme :)

You guys make me blush :oops:

nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

By the way... great success of the Rapid-Share idea:

Bridal Shower: 477 Downloads
Goodbye Columbus: 377 Downloads

And i'm sending everyday megabytes over megabytes from my Emule at home.....

What can i say... i feel clever! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ILF
Mod
Mod

Post by ILF »

Definitely a good move....solves the short term problem anyway.
wildatheart

Post by wildatheart »

Here's my humble suggestion, being a webmaster since 1992 I've seen that problem several times.

There are free scripts around to solve that issue. One of them does this: you leave the most recent clips accessible for a certain period of time, like, I dunno, one month, then they get automatically moved onto a 'per request' list. Visitors click on the names of the clips in the list, which records a 'popularity point' for that clip. You can set the threshold of that popularity, and instruct the script to put accessible only the clips that get, say, over 100 points, and limit the number of clips to, like 10 or 20. Popularity only recals the last 30 days of clicks to avoid permanent increasing values. That way, you limit the number of clips accessible, hence reducing the bandwidth used, and at the same time you leave the most requested clips accessible to the visitors.

This may sound complicated, but once script is installed, it works alone and requires very little or no maintenance other than entering the data and URL to download the first time. See http://www.hotscripts.com to fond on of these toys. Very convenient!

wild
fetish4footsie

Post by fetish4footsie »

I have to say i think the rapidshare idea has worked very well and i have no problem keep doing it this way but guys anything that betters this site i am all for!!!.
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

wildatheart wrote:Here's my humble suggestion, being a webmaster since 1992 I've seen that problem several times.
Well.... thank you! Really a good suggestion. Even if i wouldn't be able to use it for new videos, because if i would make new videos immediatly avaliable from the site the problem would be the same as before: new videos always get downloaded about 1000 times in 1 or 2 days...so you can imagine my problem...

BUT your idea is GREAT as a way to let people download the OLD videos, that are not available on Rapid Share!

I tried to have a look on that site you told me about but, actually, i don't know what exactly to look for. I mean the description of the script. Would you mind giving me some more specific details or even a name of a script you know? You can write me privately if you think it's better :)

Thank you again :)