Do Any Of You Own A Kindle?

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Do Any Of You Own A Kindle?

Post by Dead Parrot »

I am a voracious reader, and the portability and book cost of this device are very appealing.

What have been your experiences with your Kindle? Any hidden flaws or unexpected benefits?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

DP

notalwaysright10000

Post by notalwaysright10000 »

I own a kindle and consider it the greatest thing has ever existed -nay, that even theoretically *could* exist- in the past present or future of this or any universe.
If you are indeed a voracious reader, and have no overriding wish to consolidate this activity with those for which you use a laptop, I think you'll find the hyperbole of my first sentence less than excessive.

And no, I don't own stock (or something) the company that makes them.
Uh, OK, what should I write here...
Sweet and to the point:
My strong preference is for seated, both-feet shoeplay. Dangling, and shoeplay with open-toed shoes or mules, I'm afraid don't do as much for me.
hiker
Mod
Mod

Post by hiker »

The wife had one and after using it for a bit, she still preferred the old method... reading an actual book or newspaper. Old school, I guess.

If your going to spring for the kindle, you might want to take a look at the iPad. You can download the Kindle app plus have all the other features. Just a thought.

Looking back, this reply doesn't really answer your question... does it? Sorry!
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

I don't own any of them, but if reading is what you want to do, i strongly suggest to AVOID the iPad. Kindle has a special screen built for the eyes, to don't make you tired after a bit and, moreover, to be readable even under the sunlight. iPad is amazing for many things, but if you just want to read, go for the kindle.

I speak because i've read a lot of both of them, being as i am a Technology fan :)
Foot fetish custom videos since 2008
Click here, look at the available models and request one.
You won't be disappointed.
blktk75

Post by blktk75 »

I don't have a Kindle because its book market is not so good in Italy, but I just bought the Sony PRS-650 and let me say: it's great!! I'm a voracious reader too, and I have no more space to store the real books, so I made the big step.

I'm very glad, because the E-Ink technology it's really impressive, just like real paper; and I cpmpletely agree with nyllover, avoid the iPad or other illuminated devices, not good for hours of reading.

I don't need wi-fi or 3G in the reader, I can use my iMac to buy and transfer the books, so the PRS was the perfect choice; but if you live in U.K. or U.S. I think that Kindle is a good device.
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Thanks for the replies folks. This does answer my question, and I will definitely be looking at buying one after Christmas.

And I'll look into the Sony PRS-650 as well.

The IPAD looks to me more of a video oriented device, and I'm looking for text oriented. No stereo sounds, internet or other bells and whistles; just something to buy books and read.

iJustine's review of the IPAD shows me it's larger than what I'd like anyway. I want something small enough to put in my rucksack for the day, as opposed to something more the size of a clipboard. Then it becomes unwieldy and ends up being left at home.

Feel free to chime in with other thoughts.

Merry Christmas,

DP
Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.
notalwaysright10000

Post by notalwaysright10000 »

Hey DeadParrot, I've got two questions for you (just curious):

(1) Is your handle an allusion to a Monty Python sketch?

(2) Do you read Robert Heinlein? (somehow I have you pegged as a Heinlein fan)
Uh, OK, what should I write here...
Sweet and to the point:
My strong preference is for seated, both-feet shoeplay. Dangling, and shoeplay with open-toed shoes or mules, I'm afraid don't do as much for me.