[ENG] High definition TV

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Feeture Feature

[ENG] High definition TV

Post by Feeture Feature »

Oh my goodness. All the hype is true. I just had high definition cable service installed and I never want to watch anything else again. I had not expected such good results. I got tempted when I saw Dell (the computer people) have smaller HD-ready TV's at quite a discount. The 17-inch I bought listed for $699 and was recently dropped to $549 with free shipping. It has an LCD screen. I checked on eBay and tons of these were listed and being snapped up at around $415 plus shipping. I got a better deal by doing a "Buy It Now" for $400 and $40 shipping. Had the set in a week and watched for a week until I ordered cable. The 17-inch screen is fine for the bedroom. For $10 extra a month I get 12 high-definition channels, including ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, UPN and WB stations and HD versions of premium movie channels. I did have to take 47 digital channels too over the 100 full channel lineup. It will mess up taping because I can only tape the channel I watch. I guess I will just enjoy watching for quite awhile and let up on my taping and new scenes discoveries. I recommend high definition very highly if you can afford it and I look forward to when all programming will be in it. Don't waste the extra money on a set with an HD tuner if you need to use cable or satellite, as the HD-ready sets without tuners are fine (the signal provider supplies the converter box which has the tuner).

nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Oh....USA... land of technology... :imslow: :love:
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

This is why I no longer own a TV. I'd have all that tech that Feeture talks about and I'd be watching Star Trek, westerns and war movies all the time. I'd never get anything done because I'd be watching TV!

Still it's tempting during the long winter months, and with Firefly out on DVD I've been really fighting the urge to get a DVD-ROM for the new CPU I will get early next year.

Oh well, gotta stay strong and not take the plunge. :crash:

DP
ILF
Mod
Mod

Post by ILF »

DP,
you could always but the TV tuner card for your PC.
Then you won't need a TV. Your monitor becomes the TV. Neat!
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

ILF wrote:DP,
you could always but the TV tuner card for your PC.
Then you won't need a TV. Your monitor becomes the TV. Neat!
Tempting, veeery tempting, but... :( My money is going to some other purchases in January.

No TV, never again!!!! :furious: :furious:

DP