The Running of the Bulls - 2005

Do i need to explain this one to you? :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

The Running of the Bulls - 2005

Post by Dead Parrot »

(cough) (cough) Wow, look at all the dust and cobwebs in this forum! It's been ignored for too long, so I'll post about this most unusual "sport". :lol:
HUNDREDS DODGE GORINGS IN PACKED BULL RUN
By Emma Ross-Thomas
Fri Jul 8,11:25 AM ET

PAMPLONA, Spain (Reuters) - Hundreds of thrill seekers from around the world raced through the streets ahead of six half-tonbulls Friday but all avoided gorings in the second day of Pamplona's running of the bulls.

A 37-year-old man from this northern Spanish city, Josetxo Espada, was taken to hospital with a head injury but was then discharged, a hospital spokesman said. Bulls trod on two others and another 22 were slightly injured, the Red Cross said.

Bull running, part of the week-long San Fermin fiesta, has killed 15 people since 1910, the last two years ago. Each morning six bulls are set loose on a 825-meter (2,700-foot) course through the cobbled streets of the northern Spanish city where thrill seekers run with the half-ton animals to the bull ring.

While most of the adrenalin-pumped runners avoid the huge beasts, the experts try to get in front of the bulls' horns.

Jose Manuel Garcia, a 35-year-old Spaniard, said he was more anxious about not getting close than about being pierced by a horn. "You endure the fear, get the people out of the way, and get the bull," he said.

Runners often tumble, sometimes into heaps, where they get trampled by each other and by the bulls.

"People are falling, you see people really scared, you see the sheer terror and you just run," Neil Warner, a 31-year-old from Watford, Britain, said.

The centuries-old fiesta became known internationally after Ernest Hemingway's 1920s novel of thwarted love and heavy drinking "The Sun Also Rises." The party is particularly popular with Americans, Australians and Britons.

Rick Musica, from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, attends every year to meet a group of Americans, who have been coming for 30 years.

"Every day I envision the perfect run and one of these days it's going to happen ... My goal is to be part of the herd," the 39-year old flight attendant said.

Fans of former American basketball star Dennis Rodman shouted with delight as the giant athlete appeared on the course Friday, for a second year.

Women were forbidden from running for decades but this year several ran and Thursday a young Canadian woman was trampled.

But fellow Canadian woman Paige Campbell was unruffled.

"I was nervous and excited but I wasn't terrified. I felt I'd thought it out well," the 32-year-old from Edmonton, said.
I never got to Spain, much to my regret, to see this. In my younger days I might have tried something like this...but now... :roll: I'd have hoof marks up and down my back.

DP

Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

I personally think you got to be out of your f***ing mind to even attempt it! I recently saw a past clip on T.V. of someone being malled by an angry bull!