[ENG] Watching DVD on a PC?

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

[ENG] Watching DVD on a PC?

Post by Dead Parrot »

OK folks, help me out here. I am a die-hard VHS man, I've never used or owned a DVD player. At the present time I do not own a TV or a VCR, but am thinking of purchasing something so I can watch movies.

Because of the emerging dominance of the DVD I will most likely not purchase another VCR. My questions ares: can I watch DVD's on my PC? If not, is it possible to hook a DVD player up to my monitor? Or will I have to break down and get a TV and a DVD player.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

DP

Babylove
Mod
Mod

Post by Babylove »

Hey DP! I've just read your post. By now, you know that DVD discs are the thing now, in which they last 100 years... if you don't scratch them. VHS tapes loses picture and sound quality overtime, even if you dont play them often.

And yes, you can watch DVD's on your PC... if you have a DVD-ROM drive, and media player to watch them like PowerDVD, Windows Media Player9, Winamp5, and others. Actually I have two DVD's, my PC and Playstation2.

Whether you purchase the DVD-ROM or the stand-alone DVD player is clearly up to you. But you are definitely making the right choice. Hope that helps you out some. Later! :) 8)
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Yes, Babylove is right. You can watch DVD's on your computer if you buy a dvd drive for it. In this way you don't have to buy a TV... because if you buy a normal stand alone dvd player...well, as far as i know, you can't easily watch dvds on the monitor :wink:

And of course a dvd drive for the computer can be used for other things too...like receiving some material from your friend form Italy on a DVD instead than on 3 or 4 CD-Roms :D
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

I see. Now I assume that I would have to have this installed at the shop right?

My machine is about four or five years old. Will that affect the performance of the drive? Should I buy a new CPU?

Also, any recommendations as to what model DVD-ROM to buy?

Thanks again.

DP
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

Uhmmm... 4 or 5 years old... well... it should be able to handle DVDs... i mean, DVDs are available on computers since about 8 years now....so you should be ok... any DVD Rom will be ok really... i bought one that costed me 40$ and it works fine :P

If you can tell me more details about your computer, i might be able to be more sure about if you'll be able to play dvds without problems... things like CPU, amount of RAM and Hard Disk size.. :wink:
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

I am running Windows 98.

Hard drive is 15 Gig, with 4.65 Gig currently being used.

RAM is 56 Meg.

Anything else you need to know. I thank you , and she thanks you too. :P

DP
Attachments
p_r_us00202.jpg
p_r_us00202.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

WOW! Is she your secretary? :mrgreen:

So... Hard Drive is ok surely... Windows 98 too... RAM.. well, if you could bring it to 64 it would be better... then is should be fine. Although the CPU must be at least a Pentium II, but i guess it is....right? :)
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Pentium II, I guess? :?

Well, I'll check it out when I'm ready to buy. I'll also increase the ram. I think I can take this up to 128 Megs.

No, she's not my secretary - here's my secretary (I wish!)
Attachments
Desirae from Webhoneys
Desirae from Webhoneys
hottalk01.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
hottalk02.jpg
hottalk02.jpg (58.83 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
nyllover
Admin
Admin

Post by nyllover »

oh ohhhh what a niiiice secretary you haveeeee... love the shoes...love those pantyhose.... yummmmm :P :P