Candid filming with a Gopro?

Anything regarding computer and technology in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Feet_Guy129

Candid filming with a Gopro?

Post by Feet_Guy129 »

I haven't filmed candids in a couple months because I'm nervous someone will see the phone and also the camera on my phone sucks. I'm forced to film from a distance, so when I zoom in on the video the quality is terrible. Lately I've taken interest in Gopros. More specifically the Hero session 5. I'll see if I can afford a used hero 8 or 9 for better quality because I'm picky. My reason for Gopro is me being able to get up close, especially with the session 5. The camera is small so I'll be more comfortable with filming. Does anyone have experience with these cameras? Any tips for filming with one?

Collegetownstudios

Re: Candid filming with a Gopro?

Post by Collegetownstudios »

Feet_Guy129 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:43 am I haven't filmed candids in a couple months because I'm nervous someone will see the phone and also the camera on my phone sucks. I'm forced to film from a distance, so when I zoom in on the video the quality is terrible. Lately I've taken interest in Gopros. More specifically the Hero session 5. I'll see if I can afford a used hero 8 or 9 for better quality because I'm picky. My reason for Gopro is me being able to get up close, especially with the session 5. The camera is small so I'll be more comfortable with filming. Does anyone have experience with these cameras? Any tips for filming with one?
There was a filmer named Void West, who filmed with a GoPro. He produced EXCELLENT video. I believe he hid it in his backpack with a hole in it. His material is around somewhere on the net.
tobydole

Post by tobydole »

GoPro's have a fisheye lens; you will need to change the settings around or edit the videos after to fix the effect. The issue with that with a fisheye lens things look a lot further away than they are so make sure you've got things set up right. Also GoPro isn't the only brand so make sure you shop around. Other brands might have less obtrusive looks and won't immediately look like a GoPro - they kinda stand out and most everyone knows what they look like. The Session 5 looks cool though.

Phones can also be put into a bag in like a pocket, so the screen is hidden but the camera is still pointing out. That's what I do. While it stands out, it won't look as bad than if someone notices your GoPro lens. Probably.

If you have a 4k camera you can zoom it in in editing to the equivalent zoom of 1080p and still end up with 1080p video quality. Something to keep in mind. 4K will use a lot more battery and space though.
Collegetownstudios

Post by Collegetownstudios »

tobydole wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:31 am GoPro's have a fisheye lens; you will need to change the settings around or edit the videos after to fix the effect. The issue with that with a fisheye lens things look a lot further away than they are so make sure you've got things set up right. Also GoPro isn't the only brand so make sure you shop around. Other brands might have less obtrusive looks and won't immediately look like a GoPro - they kinda stand out and most everyone knows what they look like. The Session 5 looks cool though.

Phones can also be put into a bag in like a pocket, so the screen is hidden but the camera is still pointing out. That's what I do. While it stands out, it won't look as bad than if someone notices your GoPro lens. Probably.

If you have a 4k camera you can zoom it in in editing to the equivalent zoom of 1080p and still end up with 1080p video quality. Something to keep in mind. 4K will use a lot more battery and space though.
Excellent advice, do you have any brand suggestions?
tobydole

Post by tobydole »

I’m not too sure, but IIRC Sony has some. You could probably check out some of the Amazon brands too.