Questionable "Draws"

Write here anything about the website or the forum: comments, suggestions, ideas...

Moderator: Moderators

Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Hi Jocozo, let me try to allay some of your concerns.
jocozo wrote:I dont know why all the fuss about the drawings is going on.
The fuss involves taking steps to avoid the appearance of distributing or possessing anything illegal. Considering the amount of muscle governments around the world are putting into alleged cyber-crime it is only prudent that we take steps to attempt to protect ourselves. No one wants to go to prison, and none of us want to see other members of the site swept up in a dragnet.
jocozo wrote:Nobody (the planet's population) seemed to complain about the latest Lolita version (starring Jeremy Irons).
I'm not attacking you Jocozo, I just want to point out how charged this whole issue has become.

The 1997 version of Lolita actually generated quite a bit of controversy. New Line Cinema was the original distributor of the film, but after viewing a rough cut they washed their hands of the matter. Other North Ameican distributors wouldn't touch it. Adrian Lyne had to jump through hoops to get a very limited theatrical release before the movie found a general audience through Showtime.

Lyne himself said, "I wasn't really prepared for the sort of paranoia that surrounded the subject matter of the film. I think the climate in America was different three years ago. Everybody now talks about violence, but at that time, because of the JonBenet Ramsey case, there was an obsession with pedophilia. So there was a certain amount of paranoia."

In Britain and Australia there was a major outcry by family movie groups, and in Australia the film was delayed release so that a new more stringent rating could be applied.

As you can see, there is trememdous amount of emotion attached to this subject, and a very palpable "guilty till proven innocent" stigma on anyone involved. That is the reality we have to deal with here.
jocozo wrote:I think everyone realised that Dominique Swain (who was 18 during the shooting of the movie) played a 14 YEAR OLD GIRL!!!
Swain was actually 15-16 at the time of the filming. Lyne had to bring in a body double to replace her for the sex scenes and other precautions were taken when she and Irons had to touch each other during filiming. Swain's age at the time only added to the controversy.
jocozo wrote:So for the love of God let us be a bit more mature about a bunch of manga drawings.
I believe that we are being quite mature and rational about the whole situation.

Cronster brought the matter regarding the anime section to the attention of the other members of the board. We listened to him, looked at the situation and have discussed it in some detail. As a result, changes were made to the website.

Not all of us agree with those changes. I certainly don't. But I respect and understand Cronster's position. And based on our discussion I also support Nyllover's decision to remove some of the posts. This is his house after all and as his guest I'm quite pleased to be here.

The underlying success of this website is based on voluntary cooperation and participation. No one is forced to visit or join here. But to keep things moving Nyllover must balance the weight of potential legal problems in many differing countries with the concerns and interests of our community.

He is in a difficult position because of that, and I believe we cannot fully appreciate what he faces sometimes (like this situation). Nyllover could have ignored or belittled Cronster but that would only have served to alienate Cronster and those who share his concerns. More importantly, that's not the type of community he has built here.

I believe we've handled the situation well, and that our esteemed webmaster has been more than accomidating.

DP

Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.
ILF
Mod
Mod

Post by ILF »

Well, DP
That was very well put.

Any input I've had on this issue was to help address concerns as well.
It's truly difficult to say where the line is "drawn"-pun intended. :lol:

On the top rated show Desperate Housewives, the sexy character Gabriella is having an affair with a "17 year old" (played by a
26 year old). They've gotten away with it, though there has been less intimacy between them, maybe because of public outage or maybe part of the storyline, not sure.

The bottom line is: If there is something wrong, it needs to be corrected.
If there is nothing wrong, Nyl will still address concerns as appropriately as can be based on the information that is available to him.
I'm sure this is not the end of this issue.

Perhaps if someone knows a good "law-person"/lawyer friend/whatever.
Let's find out once and for all, without trying to bring too much unnecessary attention.

Eventually, we will be able to put this issue to rest with the correct solution prevailing.
koopacooper

Post by koopacooper »

Viewing these sort of drawings isn't illegal in the UK - would it be possible for someone to tell me where the pictures (that were removed from this site) came from?
Dead Parrot
Mod
Mod

Post by Dead Parrot »

Koopa, there are various links in this thread.

http://www.nyllover.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... cs&start=0

Good luck.

DP
Please note that I am no longer an active board member.

If you need assistance please contact Nyllover.
doberso

Re: Questionable "Draws"

Post by doberso »

Good article and useful information. I completely agree that our world is growing so fast. My home city https://populationstat.com/united-states/chicago is changing drastically every year. It becomes home to more and more people from all over the world. I cannot tell if it is good or bad, I can only state that this is an inevitable process nowadays. We cannot stop the technological process and nobody knows the result.